"Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands" - While this passage has a lot to chew on, this line stands out to me. Jesus, the Christ, God made man, has just allowed himself to be brutally murdered by his creation. And from his humanity he screams out to His Father, "I trust you with everything, even my life." We (I) give lip service to "laying down my life" for someone, for God. But how willing am I really? Would I choose to die, even painfully, if God gave me a choice to honor him this way? Even more pressing is am I really living as if I trust God. I have to admit that I don't trust Him with everything. I pray that I've come closer today, and that I'll get closer tomorrow.
Father, help me to say this prayer with sincerity. Help me to trust you with all that I am. Sometimes I have the thought that I would do what you say if you'd just tell me what to do. But in that, I haven't been looking for your guidance as if my life depends on it. I wait for your thunder and don't listen for your whisper. Forgive me. Restore me.
It seems from what Jesus said we can conclude that he really must have known very little about what was going to happen next, you know after he takes his last breath "What then?", but what he did know is that he could trust his heavenly father even unto death. Whatever was in store for Jesus in death, he trusted his Father to take care of him regardless.
My hope is that I too can begin to understand and experience the sort of relationship Jesus had with the Father so I too can live and die as he did.
2 comments:
"Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands" - While this passage has a lot to chew on, this line stands out to me. Jesus, the Christ, God made man, has just allowed himself to be brutally murdered by his creation. And from his humanity he screams out to His Father, "I trust you with everything, even my life." We (I) give lip service to "laying down my life" for someone, for God. But how willing am I really? Would I choose to die, even painfully, if God gave me a choice to honor him this way? Even more pressing is am I really living as if I trust God. I have to admit that I don't trust Him with everything. I pray that I've come closer today, and that I'll get closer tomorrow.
Father, help me to say this prayer with sincerity. Help me to trust you with all that I am. Sometimes I have the thought that I would do what you say if you'd just tell me what to do. But in that, I haven't been looking for your guidance as if my life depends on it. I wait for your thunder and don't listen for your whisper. Forgive me. Restore me.
It seems from what Jesus said we can conclude that he really must have known very little about what was going to happen next, you know after he takes his last breath "What then?", but what he did know is that he could trust his heavenly father even unto death. Whatever was in store for Jesus in death, he trusted his Father to take care of him regardless.
My hope is that I too can begin to understand and experience the sort of relationship Jesus had with the Father so I too can live and die as he did.
Great thoughts Nate!
Post a Comment